Monday, December 2, 2013

My Wonderful Thanksgiving

By Yuka

     Have you ever met a multicultural family in the United States? During Thanksgiving Days, I visited at my suite mate's house in Long Island. This is my first time to spend the weekend with an American family. Her family is a multicultural family. Her father is a Jew, and her mother is a Greek. Therefore, they celebrate Thanksgiving and Hanukkah, which is Jewish event, every year. In the family, I spent very great Thanksgiving weekend. I would like to pick up some good memories in the weekend.

     First my good memory is that my suite mate, Sarah, drove me to see her home town. Her home town is located in Southold, so there are a lot of oceans and bays around the area. Unfortunately, the day was raining, so I could not see the bays clearly. However, she said I can see very beautiful bays in summer. Also, I went to the Orient Point of the Long Island. When I arrived at there, I saw the whole ocean. I became to like Long Island. I want to visit summer again.


     Next, I celebrated Thanksgiving and Hanukkah with her neighbors and relatives. I ate a lot of food such as a baked turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a pumpkin cheese pie. It was very delicious. I like Thanksgiving. Also, I decorated a sweets house. This is one of the Hanukkah events. Hanukkah color is blue and white, so I put some blue candies and white creams on my house. I thought my dream came true to make a sweets house. In addition, I learned how to celebrate Hanukkah. Her father took a Hanukia from a shelf, and he put two small candles on it. While they were praying, they lighted candles. After that, they said "Happy Hanukkah," and they hugged each other. They celebrate Hanukkah until Christmas. I had really fun Thanksgiving and Hanukkah.




     After the thanksgiving, I decorated a Christmas tree and her house with her family. There were a lot of Christmas decorations in her house. The tree was very big. I couldn't reach the top of the tree. I was very happy because I have not decorated Christmas in my home since I was a junior high school student. I was very excited to decorate her house. Also, Sarah made a little Christmas village on the table. When we finished the decoration, the house was very cute and beautiful.


     All in all, I really had great Thanksgiving weekend with Sarah's family. I was glad that Sarah invited me at her house. I got unforgettable experiences such as visiting Long Island, celebrating Thanksgiving and Hanukkah, and decorating a big Christmas tree. I love Long Island, her house, her family, and Sarah!!!


7 comments:

  1. What a nice suite mate. I believe you had a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful house it is ;)) You could already see the Christmas tree! The food looks very delicious;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas tree!! You are very lucky that you got to go to your friend's house for Thanksgiving. What a special treat! You must have loved every moment! And you made a gingerbread house!! Lucky lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice experience, one day I would like to pass a thanksgiving with a american family :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Hanukkah on my dictionary. Maybe I knew Hanukkah!! My high school teacher was Jewish and he had mention this. But I forgot actually. Ha. Maybe is my global studies class? Don't know, not important. I like your break and it looks much of fun. Nice pictures and your suitemate are soooooo nice. I like decorate christmas tree, too. I had long time not decorate that. And gingerbread house was when I was very young. Sooooooo lucky you are. Such a great experience to spend thanksgiving with Americans. Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you must be a nice girl too like your suite's mate. So she invited you to her home for several days!!!!!

    ReplyDelete