Monday, October 7, 2013

My First Experience of The High School Club

By Kuan-Wen 
            Do you know what is the feeling when you are frightened? I was remember it happened in the fall, where was my high school in Taiwan. I was hesitated to decide to join which kind of activity was the most meaningful and interesting. At that time, I heard about this club, which was called break dancing. It is a street dance, which can be the most dangerous and challenge to dance because it is easily to get hurt. It was a popular dance and fit for the boys mostly than girls. So, I take this opportunity to try to dance and learn what the dance is special to me and make it meaningful to me.  The experience was here that make me grow, when it was impossible into possible. The journey how to dance was just began. During that time I had got a message from the Headmaster that we were going to have a performance need to dance.   
            When we dance for break dancing; the boys called B-boy and the girls called B-girl. B stands for breaking. It means to break the rule and try to dance different ways and make a change into your own styles. Firstly, I had a setback first because I not got into this club at first. After next year in grade 12, I finally got into it. My feeling very disappointed and sadness into happiness and excited and cannot wait for the day began to me.
            In the first day, I went there that I saw my dance studio was very small and narrow. The number at less than 14 people or around this number that already felt squeeze. It was hard to not get hit by others if need to add one more person to step in. Sometimes when I stretched my hand out or my foot, it sometimes will hit my neighbor. “Sorry” is most common word in the studio that I heard and also said to each other. In the summer, it was very hot because our studio doesn’t have air condition. I didn’t know how survive in that time, people were easily get sweat and become smelly place. By the way, we danced on the basement.
            For the days spend through, it only took three times a week and one hour and half. Not much of time to practice.  My first emotion when I was first been there, I fell like we were animal. Sometimes we had long time to practice that need to stay long. The time was hastily spent away, and it was very tired at those days. Some of the time we end like at 6 pm, there were have a crowd of people watching us dancing because it next to cafeteria. This time was for dinner. Not our dancer members were stand around and stared to us what we were doing; sometimes I feel like we were animals that being watched.   
            Few days later we practiced, our club leader brought a message back that told us we going to have a performance and we need to practice a lot. Sometimes girls were lazy and not doing lots of work were sit behind of studio. Maybe playing cell phone or taking a nap. Sometimes, I did that too and it was very deep memory. We need to end up lazy and keep concentrate on the performance. Teacher was asked everyone to dance to him and made some changes for our dance. We dunce until no mistakes and waited for the day came.
            When the day came, we all of the members were waiting in the small classroom. We were going to perform on the auditorium, where was in the fifth floor in the school. We were nervous in the small classroom, the auditorium was in front of us.  Someone likes me was a first time to do this to danced and showed in front of people. We were walk back and forth to thought about what will be happened to us. I grip my hand and make me clam down from nervous and exciting emotion, and let my heart beat to have a regular pattern. I don’t want to mess it up when I got on the stage. We had a small rehearsal; we practiced in the classroom again with the music. Because the area was too small, when we do some floor dance that easily hit the table to get hurt. We turned the music low sound and lightly moved our body with the hip-hop melody music. 

It was the day for the “parents’ day”. We were going to perform in front of our parents and whole school members, who were teachers and students. I felt like a silly moment when the performance turned to us. There were lots of performances on that day. When we got on the stage, it was very quiet. Everyone was staring us that like never moving theirs’ eyes. Especially, the Headmaster stood next to me and teachers were sat in front of us. In that moment I felt afraid and nervous, the feeling got back again. My mind was disorder, thought about can I make it or not. However, when it started it I realized I thought too much unimportant feeling. The music is not very loud sound; the school radio was not good at all and had some interference. We listened to the music of hip-hop and step our feet and to move our body to regular pattern. Sometimes we sit on the stage and stood up to dance. Boys and girls were dunce different parts, but when it almost ending we were dunce in the same dance. At the end, we handed up our hands for ending. There were lots of claps, students were yelling and saying we did a good job. And I felt very satisfied, I didn't dance wrong, I did the best I can. The most shocked thing to me was some teachers had notice at me on stage; during the class he and she had said about me that I did a nice dance. And they didn’t know that I was a member in break dancing club, so I made a different point of view to others to think on me.  It was very remarkable memory and astonishing when I made the chose to dance on the stage and took the challenge to grow and to be brave to show others about me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing you dance someday!

    ReplyDelete